February 06, 2013

Recycled Glitter Hearty-Heart Ornaments {tutorial}

I made these hearts last year because my kids are always begging to decorate for every season- just like our friendly retail stores. They cut out a bunch of hearty paper things too. I'm not into hearts or red, but I'm all about my kids... so here's to sparkly heart ornaments!

All three kids have been sick this week and stayed home from school. So when I dug out our Valentine decor (finally!), it put smiles on their faces...




 All You Need for Materials {sort of tutorial}


  • cardboard (I used an empty cereal box)
  • red or other colors of glitter (you can see in the photo below that I ran out)
  • hot glue gun
  • Mod Podge
  • ribbon or string for hanging
  • hole punch 
  • scissors, of course

We're going to make some HEAVY HEARTS!



  • Cut out as many hearts as you like, punch the hole first where it's going to hang.
  • Apply hot glue to an area on your card board heart, press hot glue area into a "pile" of glitter. I did not hot glue the entire heart at once on one side unless it was small because I didn't want my glue to get cold and glitter to fall off. 
  • Finish adding hot glue and glitter to one side, cool, and then add to the other side. (You can adhere with Mod Podge, but the hearts will not be as heavy as these babies.)
  • After all the hearts were cool, I applied a layer of Mod Podge to seal on the glitter. (Who likes glitter all over? Not me.)
  • Make sure you don't cover the hole for hanging.




Here's where we decided to hang our "Heavy Hearts" this year! 

Make Valentine's memorable for those you LoVe.


"Make our homes a safe place where each family member feels love and a sense of belonging. Realize that each child has varying gifts and abilities; each is an individual requiring special love and care." 
-Elder Robert D. Hales





No comments:

Post a Comment