February 10, 2012

ArtPalooza week- day 5 - Simple Batiking {tutorial} - on canvas


I wanted to create artwork to hang in my kids' brightly-colored bathroom...

Once again, I used Elmer's Clear Glue and acrylic paint (technique adapted from the pinkandgreenmama) instead of the traditional batik mediums, with dye and wax (although I would love to learn how!)
(this image is not for sale)
I adapted the image from the amazing janefosterblog.blogspot.com  

Batik on Canvas Tutorial:
Please visit my Simple Batiking-Shirt Design Tutorial for kids & more details.





 Items Needed:
  • Elmer's Clear Glue
  • canvas or desired material
  • acrylic paint 
  • paint brushes
  • pencil
  • cardboard

Simple Instructions:
  • Draw your design with pencil on the canvas.
  • Then outline your design with glue. (Unlike the cotton t-shirt fabric, the glue will not naturally soak through the thick canvas. I had to penetrate the glue into the fabric so that it didn't bubble on top the surface.)
  • Let dry overnight.
                                      
 Paint over the glue with cardboard behind canvas...
 Let the paint thoroughly dry overnight...
 In the sink, soak in warm water for at least 30+ minutes, gently rub away the glue.

Completely dry and ready to hang! 
This can be adapted for any age! Super easy and fun.

Ideas for display: 
  • Make into a pillow cover.
  • Sew onto a shirt.
  • Sew onto the front of a bag.
  • Stretch onto a wood frame, around the edges, and staple canvas to the back.
  • Sew to the inside of a shadow box frame.
  • Paint a sturdy wood board and and adhere with Mod Podge.
  • Tack artwork onto the wall.
Okay, seriously, I'm out of ideas! I had so much fun creating this, I hope you try your own "simple batik" project also! 
So many possibilities!




I do NOT SPAM! You won't be sorry when you get the SUPER SECRETE SALES & SNEAK PEEKS!


Thank you for stopping by 

8 comments:

  1. This is a great project! Was the canvas primed with gesso before you put the glue on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking that I needed to try one with gesso...I'm not sure if the glue would work (soak in a little or just stay on the surface) if it was gessoed, but I am going to try a small sample to see. Gesso would help preserve the artwork a little longer, but there was no need to stretch it on a canvas frame.

      Delete
  2. Can Elmer's white glue be used. Our summer camp only has the white and it is too late to get clear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I just picked up 8 unbleached cotton canvas bags for my daughter's 9th birthday. I love this idea... what did you do to get the glue to penetrate into the thicker canvas? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, for the delay, it does not need to penetrate, it only needs to be on the surface to repel the the paint from the canvas.

      Delete