I wanted to create artwork to hang in my kids' brightly-colored bathroom...
Once again, I used Elmer's Clear Glue and acrylic paint (technique adapted from the pinkandgreenmama) instead of the traditional batik mediums, with dye and wax (although I would love to learn how!)
(this image is not for sale)
I adapted the image from the amazing janefosterblog.blogspot.com
Batik on Canvas Tutorial:
Please visit my Simple Batiking-Shirt Design Tutorial for kids & more details.
- Elmer's Clear Glue
- canvas or desired material
- acrylic paint
- paint brushes
- Draw your design with pencil on the canvas.
- Then outline your design with glue. (Unlike the cotton t-shirt fabric, the glue will not naturally soak through the thick canvas. I had to penetrate the glue into the fabric so that it didn't bubble on top the surface.)
- Let dry overnight.
Paint over the glue with cardboard behind canvas...
Let the paint thoroughly dry overnight...
In the sink, soak in warm water for at least 30+ minutes, gently rub away the glue.
Completely dry and ready to hang!
This can be adapted for any age! Super easy and fun.
Ideas for display:
- Make into a pillow cover.
- Sew onto a shirt.
- Sew onto the front of a bag.
- Stretch onto a wood frame, around the edges, and staple canvas to the back.
- Sew to the inside of a shadow box frame.
- Paint a sturdy wood board and and adhere with Mod Podge.
- Tack artwork onto the wall.
So many possibilities!