December 30, 2015

My School Christmas tradition: Cookie-Cutter CERAMIC Ornaments


I just realized that I have been making and painting ceramic Christmas ornaments with our elementary school since my son was in preschool. He is now in 4th grade, so it has been 6 years in a row! Originally I was able to use the local university kiln, but I recently purchased my own kiln. It has been much easier for me to fire close by.  I am not able to glaze (the shiny coat) and fire ornaments in the Winter due to the super cold temperature in my garage! The glaze would crack right off after  being fired because it needs to cool very very slowly. So we painted the ornaments after the first (bisque) firing was complete. 


This year with the help of other teachers and moms we cookie-cut, fired, and painted 90+ kindergarten and 20+ 4th grade elementary students' Christmas Ornaments! I loved every moment of it. This is what it's about.


 Some of the 4th grade freshly painted ornaments. . . H.I.L.A.R.I.O.U.S.






Below are only a handful of the freshly painted ceramic ornaments that the kindergarten classes painted! They used glitter puff-paint to detail their ornaments and it worked perfectly. 



Thank goodness my 2 year-old was able to play at a friend's house while we painted the ornaments at the school. This picture was taken at home, during our  mommy "paint date." He's a super awesome painter when I don't leave him on his own. I cherish creating memories and hand-eye cordination skills at the same time. 

I know these are simple and goofy ornaments,  but I am addicted to helping kids  believe they can create art at whatever level or medium it may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment